On Sunday 09 January 2011 07:31:29 ltsp-discuss-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net
wrote:
> I've using the stock LTSP install from Ubuntu 10.4 and it's working
> swimmingly  for the thin clients.  My notes from a few years ago on
> enabling non-thin client machines to plug into the same switch as the thin
> clients and be able to get out to the internet were as follows:
>
>      * echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>      * edit /etc/sysctl.conf to make that permanent
>      * iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
>      * iptables-save
>      * install & start dnsmasq
>
> The DNS part is working--the fat client can resolve names to addresses--but
> the  forwarding isn't working.  I've double-checked
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and it's now set to 1 (true).  But when the
> client tries to connect to an address on

Conceptually a fat client is a stand alone machine.
You've not told us the detail that is needed to answer

Your Machine [anymachine, but in this case your fat client]

Needs to have a gateway (route shows it and
eg command route add default gw 192.168.5.1])

It needs a DNS server eg
[haycorn] /home/jam [2001]% cat /etc/resolv.conf
### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
#
# Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
# static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
# /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
# or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
#
# See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
#
# Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
# may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
# only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
# file and in case of a "netconfig update -f" call.
#
### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
search home
nameserver 192.168.5.175
nameserver 192.168.5.1

THEN if your gateway is a machine (as opposed to a router) you must do the
MASQ and ip_forward bit on that machine.

*usually* one would give all this messiness to the DHCP server (one time) and
get your machine(s) to learn it from the DHCP server.

The *concept* is simple the implimentation is messy.  If your time is worth a
brass farthing get a router to do this messiness.

If you do not use a router then you need to consider the whole firewall issue
too.

James