Now, this is really a dilemma for me.

In the past, I updated the LTSP server several times, each time on a new
machine for the new version. Easy as cake: Assembling the hardware,
setting up Linux on it and LTSP, give it a new IP in the network - and
you can log in from anywhere whenever there's some free time for
configuration. After everything was set up completely, I would only have
to announce that we change to another server, and changed the DHCP server.

This time, however, I would like to use the existing machine for the new
system. So I bought an additional harddisc, set up everything on it, and
whenever I have time to play with it, I shutdown the server, swap the
harddisc, and start the new system. Unfortunately, there is almost only
the weekends free for it, as else there are too many people relying on
the old system running.

What would you do to ease this problem? Any ideas?

Regards

Rolf