One approach worth considering would be to dedicate specific
applications to their own isolated server on the backend.  This wouldn't
reduce the number of server machines you have, but it would allow you to
devote hardware resources to those apps that need it, and not waste
hardware on those that don't.  That way a gluttonous app wouldn't
negatively affect the other apps.  You'd have to do some customization
to the menus to make the menu selections call the respective server, but
that should be a one-time thing, one of the benefits of LTSP.

Peter