Thanks for the ideas.

We are a statistics research department, so folks are very keen on where
they run their apps since any given simulation may have different RAM
and processing requirements. So really, the only thing I want to
virtualize is the X session itself. All they do in the X session is run
Thunderbird, Firefox, and sometimes they'll run R or SAS for simple
compute jobs (not long-running simulations). If they have a large matrix
to invert, they'll fire up an R session via SSH on another box. My
predecessor set up the thin client environment so that each thin client
that gets booted has 1 core/cpu to run off of. So, if he had a dual core
server, he would assign 2 people to that machine. The problem is that
these machines are ancient and sucking a ton of power. They need to go.
How many cores/processors should there be for 1 person's thin-client
session?

This is why I was thinking of having just a few machines with at least 8
cores each, and not have the user be concerned with which they're
logging into. They used to run their sessions off of other machines if
they had placed something in /scratch and needed to get back to it. I'm
correcting this by implementing centralized storage as well. If
clustering and/or virtualization is not the solution, I could continue
to use a pseudo load balancer using DNS. Right now our servers look like
this:

desk00
desk01
desk02
.
.
.
desk22

The user can choose which to run their X session off of. Alternatively,
to help balance this out and not assign students to "desk" servers, I
have another dns name called best-statdesk, and if they use that it just
gives them the least used machine at that moment. Not completely
accurate but it helps. I could continue to do this with just 3 highly
powered machines and centralizing their storage so they won't be
compelled to log into server1 vs. server2 etc.

Hopefully this lays out a little more clearly what we've been up to. If
anyone has a better way to deal with this I'm all ears. The goal is to
reduce 22 back-end machines down to only a few for about 80-100
thin-clients.