After some toying around and a hint from the following URLS I was able
to get the GUI to work.

The first link talks about launching users-admin using 'gksu
users-admin' and the 2nd one talks about the flaw being related to not
using GDM (which is true on the thin client) and possibly ldm not
starting a 'gnome-session' with 'ck-launch-session' ie 'exec
ck-launch-session gnome-session'.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-system-tools/+bug/685596

The problem seems to be related to PolicyKit authentication.