> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Jay Goldberg <jaymgoldb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been adding users using System -> Administration -> Users and
> Groups. However, this doesn't work on thin clients, you must be logged
> in to the local console.
>
> So instead I tried creating users from the shell, which is fine except
> there is some part of the User and Groups GUI that sets a default set
> of group memberships for new users, which isn't done in the shell.
> Where is that controlled? I was also hoping to install webmin to allow
> regular users to admin users and groups, does anyone have experience
> with webmin on an LTSP server?

I don't know if I understand your problem correctly but I handle group
membership on the thin clients with the pam_group module (in Debian/Ubuntu:
package libpam-modules). The well documented configuration file is
/etc/security/group.conf.

There I have an entry like this:

    *;*;*;Al0000-2400;fuse,audio,cdrom,scanner

This mean: on all days of the week between 0 and 24 h users who log in get
added to the groups fuse, audio, cdrom and scanner.

Is this what you want?

Regards
Helmut

Helmut Lichtenberg  <helmut.lichtenb...@fli.bund.de>  Tel.: 05034/871-128
Institut für Nutztiergenetik (FLI)         31535 Neustadt         Germany