On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:16:09 -0400
John Hupp <l...@prpcompany.com> wrote:
> Checking around just now, I have not found any sort of a hardware
> requirement for Chromium.  Do you know of any?
>
> If there are no published hardware requirements, I may just try it and
> see what happens.

I'm just guessing, but I think the main requirement is "boatloads of
RAM", more than 128Mb at any rate.

I fired up Chromium 18 on my Ubuntu 12.04 system and navigated to just
the Google home page (no other tabs) and the total resident memory size
(ie actual physical memory used by chromium) is 298Mb of RAM. When I
navigated to a stackoverflow.com page, it went up to 342Mb.

Admittedly, this is a 64-bit system with lots of RAM so chromium may be
wasting some just because it knows it can.

If you want to check chromium memory usage on the server before you try
to run it on the client, this shell one-liner command will give you the
total resident memory size (in kilobytes) for all running
chromium-browser processes:

ps --no-headers -o rss -C chromium-browser e | paste -sd+ - | bc

Hope this helps,

Angus

PS This obviously depends a lot on your circumstances and where in the
world you are, but it may be worth putting in some time to try and get
some higher specced machines or some more RAM. Depending on where you
are in the world the parts/computers may be available for free or as
throwaways. Even just upgrading the server to 1Gb and the clients to
512Mb may give them a new lease on life!