Thanks Robert,

Each teacher and each student have their own accounts and home directories
so they all log on anywhere in the school. The teacher "servers" (i.e.
machines) will be located by the teachers work desks mainly so they can
keep a close eye on them.

I'm using webmin as an administrative GUI but can and do sometimes do
things from the CL.

The current install is EdUbuntu 12.04 w/o LDAP.

The reason I was thinking of making a new install is safety because the
current machine is the production unit. If I could get the main
authentication and home directory server set up, add two more
teacher/server cluster units then  I can move the authentication passwords,
user accounts, home directories and the network to the new cluster control
server. After that is set up I would definitely want the current production
unit to be added to the cluster but probably only as an app server right? I
mean, it is the strongest machine we have and could handle most of the apps
by itself whereas the authentication/ cluster control server has a lighter
load and doesn't need to be as powerful correct?

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Robert Mavrinac <mavri...@uwindsor.ca>wrote:

> On 06/09/13 09:22 AM, Robert Lefebvre wrote:
> > i have experimented with LDAP and had it working (I think) on what is
> > now our back up server. So do I absolutely have to use LDAP to cluster
> > servers?
> No, you don't have to use LDAP to cluster the servers, but you should
> manage accounts from one source rather than trying to synchronize
> multiple password files. You could use NIS or Kerberos, but I wouldn't.
> The application servers all need to authenticate the same collection of
> users.
> >
> > If so, I think I would opt to do a total new install on another box.
> > With your experience does that seem like the best approach?
> >
> I think it might be better if you send me a more complete description of
> what you want the final setup to look like. As I understand it, you need
> a root server for clients to boot from, which is also a cluster
> controller and load balancer. You want multiple teacher desktop's to
> become the application servers. I'm sure you would probably be
> interested in setting up the classroom management software (epoptes) as
> well.
>
> Some important questions to be answered are:
>
> 1. Do the teachers all have unique accounts?
>
> 2. If so, do you have network storage for their home directories? The
> reason I'm asking this is that LTSP will provide you with distributed
> resources - each teacher could log in to any LTSP client or their own
> desktop (an application server) and get the exact same environment.
>
> 3. Do the students have their own accounts, or are they using computers
> as guests or kiosks?

BungeeBones.com - A B2B Link Exchange - Free Links in limited locations -
human edited and reviewed - Networked online advertising business
opportunities available through our free, distributed web directory script