On 2014-08-14 18:55, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2014-08-14, richard kweskin wrote:
>
>> 9 patched /usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels (using
>>

>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ltsp-upstream/ltsp/ltsp-trunk/revision/2569
>>

>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ltsp-upstream/ltsp/ltsp-trunk/revision/2570
>> )
>>
>> 10 aptitude install pxelinux
>
> These two steps are completely unnecessary for a thin client install
> with ltsp-build-client.
>
> If you were doing the ltsp-pnp method, you would only need them with
> an
> older version of ltsp, as 5.5.2-1 is now in Debian Jessie and has the
> dependency on pxelinux and patch for update-kernels to use the newer
> pxelinux package.
>

>> 14 patched /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels (using
>>

>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ltsp-upstream/ltsp/ltsp-trunk/revision/2569
>>

>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ltsp-upstream/ltsp/ltsp-trunk/revision/2570
>> )
>
> This step should no longer be needed with ltsp 5.5.2-1, which is now
> in
> Debian Jessie.
>
>> 16 apt-get install pxelinux && apt-get clean && exit (aptitude is
>> not
>> installed in the chroot)
>
> This step should no longer be needed with ltsp 5.5.2-1, which is now
> in
> Debian Jessie.
>

> live well,
>   vagrant

Once again,thank you for this clarification.

For the purpose of writing up documentation for others I now put the
steps:

These are needed for installing ltsp with a separate chroot for clients
as the server is configured for amd64 architecture and some or all
clients need i386.

Valid for ltsp 5.5.1-1 and 5.5.2-1

1 install dnsmasq ltsp-server-standalone lxde

only with ltsp-pnp put ltsp-client on the server

2 add loop to /etc/modules and reboot the server (reported at
https://bugs.debian.org/756990)

3 ltsp-config dnsmasq

4 edit /etc/dnsmasq.d/ltsp-server-dnsmasq.conf to comment out dhcp
range line leaving dhcp proxy if the server has just one nic or edit (if
needed) the dhcp range line to suit the subnet with clients

5 edit /etc/dnsmasq.d/ltsp-server-dnsmasq.conf to replace all instances
of amd64 with i386

6 service dnsmasq restart

7 edit etc/ltsp/ltsp-server.conf to have ARCH="i386" and DIST="jessie"

8 edit /etc/ltsp/ltsp-build-client.conf to have ARCH="i386" and
DIST="jessie"

9 aptitude update && aptitude -y full-upgrade && aptitude clean

10 ltsp-build-client (without parameters)

11 edit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ltsp/update-kernels.conf to have
BOOT_METHODS=NBD, ARCH="i386" and IPAPPEND=3 uncommented

If using ltsp 5.5.1-1 or older then steps 12, 13 and 14 are needed. If
ltsp 5.5.2-1 or newer then skip them.

12 patched /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels (using

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ltsp-upstream/ltsp/ltsp-trunk/revision/2569

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ltsp-upstream/ltsp/ltsp-trunk/revision/2570
)

13 ltsp-chroot -rm

14 apt-get install pxelinux && apt-get clean && exit (aptitude is not
installed in the chroot)

15 ltsp-chroot --arch i386 /usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels

16 ltsp-update-kernels (this puts pxelinux.0 and pxelinux.cfg and the
latest i386 kernel into
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/)

17 ltsp-update-image (without parameters)

18 ltsp-config nbd-server

19 service nbd-server restart

May you all live well

Richard