Hi Alkis,

Alkis Georgopoulos schrieb am 17.02.2015 16:38:
> Maybe you're using a compositing window manager?
> Everything is still ok here with Ubuntu 14.04 and the gnome-flashback
> session (metacity window manager without effects).

it's good to hear that Gnome (e.g.) is running fast. So it's possible.

But we made a decision to use KDE in 2000! At this time, KDE was the most
complete window manager and this was an important reason to migrate common
users to a Linux desktop. Since then we have a userbase of 40-60 colleagues
(scientists, technicians, administration) using a KDE-Linuxdesktop on thin
clients. Around the middle of the 90s we switched to LTSP.

It is no option to switch from KDE to Gnome, xfce or any other window manager
only because a problem occurs. We have to solve it. Most of our users only
want to manage their daily work efficiently. They don't have lots of computer
skills. Rolling out a new window manager means a lot of work and likely yields
new/other problems.

> If you think that graphics in general are slower, and it's not a
> window-manager/compositing issue, then try x11perf, gtkperf or something
> similar to compare the results with the older installation.

How can I know if it is an "window-manager/compositing issue"?
The KDE window manager kwin uses either OpenGL or XRender. I found no
significant differences between those.
In my opinion this must be handled automatically. When I sometimes work with
my same account on AMD-, Intel-, or VIA-based clients I (the users) don't want
to always change some rather internal options like the composite type.

I only can imagine some generic options either on the server or on the client
side about things like compression, encryption, or general thin client
options.

I really would appreciate some hints, how to systematically get closer to the
problem.

Thanks
Helmut

Helmut Lichtenberg  <helmut.lichtenb...@fli.bund.de>  Tel.: 05034/871-128
Institut für Nutztiergenetik (FLI)         31535 Neustadt         Germany