Hello,

I am attempting to implement an LTSP-pnp setup with Ubuntu 14.04.  Looking
for suggestions / help with desktop selection.

I wanted to use the Unity desktop because it is standard with the
distribution.  However, turns out the thin client performance makes it not
usable.  Although the fat client performance is good.  I've also
encountered some other strange issues like the desktop failing to load
except for the background.  I fixed that part but I cannot get the system
indicators on the top panel to show up.

If I ended up sticking with Unity, I would need to figure out how to
prevent it from auto configuring the client monitors.  Some of the clients
need specific xrandr commands set in the lts.conf and Unity desktop is
overriding them incorrectly on login.  Is it possible to make Unity respect
the xrandr commands set in lts.conf?

I think I have decided to try a different desktop.  I am currently looking
at MATE.  Is this a good choice with LTSP?  Are there any others I should
look at or any that would be a better fit taking the problems I mentioned
above into consideration?

Thanks!