On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Eric Chiesse <echie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the end, natural selection will make best modules live and the ugly
> ones die (unless they adapt themselves).

That is the hope ;) And Hisham encourages this Darwinism by _not_
being the gatekeeper!

All is not lost on _accidental globals_, e.g. see

http://lua-users.org/wiki/DetectingUndefinedVariables

I've put my own extended version of David Manura's globalsplus.lua
(which is based on globals.lua in the Lua distribution) up here:

https://gist.github.com/4602636

Calls luac for you, and shows any syntax errors. If none, presents
undefined globals in the same error format. I find it useful for a
quick precheck.  If it finds a globals.whitelist in the same
directory, it will use that.  It also checks that you have not
misspelt library names, e.g. math.sine.

It's a little thing, maybe should be a rock (everything should be a
rock, really ;))  It's really only Lua 5.1 since it looks at a
particular bytecode version.

These tools are obviously more useful if people are strict about using
local, but they create enough red ink to force people to move in that
direction.

As for 'next = 1', there is a solution, although it does incur some
runtime costs - make the standard tables read-only.  (It occurs to me
as I type that the little utility discussed above can be taught to
throw a wobbly if any assignment takes place to a field of a known
whitelist global.)

However, here I am degenerating policy discussions into mere technical
solutions again

steve d.