(moving to luarocks list)

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Hisham <h...@hisham.hm> wrote:
> * there are no (AFAIK) modules that are LuaJIT-only in the main rocks
> server. Nothing stops one from making an alternative rocks server with
> LuaJIT-only rocks. If there is demand I could host that at
> luarocks.org too, but I don't recall receiving any rockspecs for
> ffi-based rocks, even though they were never disencouraged.
> * there is a magic dependency "lua" you can use in your rocks to
> specify 5.1 and/or 5.2, but there is no "luajit" magic dep (this could
> be added), nor a way to say "lua ~> 5.2 or luajit ~> 2" (this can't be
> added right now because it's new syntax and would break rockspec
> compatibility).
> * even though LuaJIT presents itself as Lua 5.1, it has as you said
> partial 5.2 compatibility, so there are probably rocks that require
> "lua ~> 5.2" and would work on LuaJIT, but LR doesn't know about that
> (and figuring out which rocks are LuaJIT-compatible is not reliably
> automatable).
>
> I'd be happy to make any necessary adaptations to make LR play well
> with LuaJIT, if there's interest, but I haven't heard much about
> LuaJIT in the LuaRocks mailing list.

Its a bit chicken-egg, havent submitted anything as at least having a
a luajit magic dep is necessary first. I wouldnt worry about the 5.2
nuances at present.

Longer term, there is the issue about how to deal with packages that
might have a different dependency set if under LuaJIT or Lua, eg can
use libffi for compatibility, or uses another dependency. This can be
ignored as worst case is you build/install the extra dependency but
dont use it at runtime.

Justin