Am 29.07.2018 um 16:31 schrieb liebre...@grossmann-venter.com:
I installed lyluatex by means of texlive-luatex.

I then tried to compile the manual (lyluatex.tex) in the luatex download zip archive as a test.

$] latex lyluatex.tex

It exits with errors.

Obviously then the compiler is not LaTeX.

There are several issues here:

a)
The manual is not written in a lyluatex.tex file but in lyluatex.md, which has to be processed with Pandoc. Also the Zip download from Github doesn't contain such a file, so I don't know what you actually tried to compile.

The manual is thorough but I cannot find a single instance of how to compile a lyluatex file.
I must have overlooked it but just cannot find it.

b)
lyluatex relies (as the name suggests) on LuaLaTeX, so the basic command has to be lualatex, not latex.

This is stated in the first "Note:" section of the "Usage" section. In a slightly more informal way it is also stated in the first paragraph of the introduction.

c)
As lyluatex invokes LilyPond it needs the privilege to do so. This is done by the command line option --shell-escape. This is described in some detail in the third "NOTE:" section of said "Usage" section

So what is the mysterious compile command ?

lualatex --shell-escape somefile.tex

thanks