On 10/11/2022 12:30, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
[...] But this /is/ a programming language, albeit a simplistic and
declarative one.  I don't know what its name is, but it is
presumably the programming language of one of the various
Unix-derived command-line interpreters ...
Well, if you argue like that then almost all output emitted by UNIX
command-line tools can be considered as a programming language...

My point is: If Joe User calls the `locale` command on the shell
prompt, he receives this output; he also has to handle such strings if
he is going to modify his locale settings.

Ah, my misunderstanding — I thought that

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF_8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
was stored in a[n executable] file somewhere — I failed to appreciate that it is simply the /output/ of a program.  In which case I withdraw my earlier comment unreservedly.

--
/** Phil./