Am 20.12.23 um 18:44 schrieb blum...@fi.muni.cz:
Hans Hagen wrote:
On 12/20/2023 3:48 PM, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree here, for me the performance
differences were indeed a dealbreaker for me to push lualatex as a
general purpose replacement in my department.
In documents of average complexity i normally get 30 page/second
performance. On more complex documents pdftex can be slower. I have a
2017 laptop so more modern hardware will gove lower numbers
I agree with Alex here. Performance is the only reason I haven't
switched to lualatex for all my documents yet.

For instance, I get the numbers

    8 s  for pdflatex
   12 s  for lualatex with the same TFM fonts
   18 s  for lualatex using luaotfload and fontspec instead

This was for a math heavy document of about 600 pages using large OTF fonts.

Using pdftex and luatex for a 500 pages TeX document (TL2023)

pdftex:
real    0m1.330s
user    0m1.272s
sys    0m0.050s

luatex
real    0m1.822s
user    0m1.715s
sys    0m0.077s

for LaTeX it is obvious that lualatex is much slower than pdflatex:
a lot of packages check for luatex and insert some luacode ...

Herbert

This performance difference is very noticeable. 8 s compile times are
fine, but having to wait 18 s interrupts my workflow.

Note that I did not spend time to figure out what causes the slowdown.
It might be harfbuzz, but it also might be fontspec, which wouldn't be
luatex's fault.

Achim