I don't think the downable nVidia source rpms work with the 2.4.19 kernel, yet. I installed the GLX and kernel source rpms on a system with GeForce4 MX420 and they screwed up my Mandrake 9.0 solid--I probably need to reinstall the whole thing. Ditto for Red Hat 8.0 Null.

For the time being, the workaround seems to be selecting the "Integrated DDR GeForce2" as your video card. It works OK for Mandrake 9.0.

From my limited experience, the only distro with 2.4.19 kernel that works with GeForce4 card is Xandros (beta 3). Perhaps I should not have written off Xandros so quickly. I have heard that, for networking with Windows, Xandros does the best job.

I'll be out of state for the most of October. Anyone interested in testing Xandros, please post it to me or write to me.