Basically my feeling is that each person should post in a manner which is comfortable to them.  If I don't want to read something I just delete it with my <Delete> key.  For example I delete all of my own posts.  Often I delete stuff on the intricacies of server set up or bulk email handling, as it's not something I'm into.  I guess I delete most of the threads related to the discussion of problems with RedHat as I don't use it.  Usually if I respond or post, it is a response to what someone has actually posted.  For example I responded to Warren when he stated that he is an expert at spam handling and has his machine finely tweaked to eliminate the problem.  I was somewhat curious why someone is so worried about alleged spam when from all outward appearances the person has that one aspect of their life very much under automated control.

Jimen Ching wrote:

Whether responses should go into the same email depends on whether the
content is for one thread or different threads. Personally, it is
confusing to discuss multiple threads in the same email. Some sentences
may be ambiguous, and if there are multiple threads in the same email, how
does one know which thread it was refering to? This is how flame wars
start. People misinterpret the wording, and all hell breaks loose.

On the other hand, if I want to respond to multiple people on the same
thread, I tend to put it all in the same email. It is easier for me to
compose the email and follow the thread.

This is just how I do things.

--jc