Music CDs are recorded in a different format, that I don't even know if they can be access via the block device.

Also, since the music is in multiple tracks, this wouldn't work.

D'oh. You're right of course. I suppose my idea would probably blend all the tracks together into one long track.

I assume the audio is available from the block device for most newer drives tho, because most newer drives support cdda extraction (w/o the digital -> analog -> digital evilness), and I assume tho do that through the ATAPI interface.

I don't know, maybe the cdrom driver uses an ioctl interface to manipulate the drive and access various audio tracks
and things..
--Ray