Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

This is a great, very ambitious project. However, unless you know something I don't, I am a little bit concerned as to whether we have the infrastructure to support such a trans-Pacific conference.

What infrastructure are you referring to?

A more practical approach is perhaps to first join an Asia-wide open source software organization (e.g., AOSS, Asia Open Source Software Symposium) and wait our turn to hold a trans-Pacific conference. Professor Larry Lessig (of Standford Law School), who very seldom participates in open source meetings (too busy writing books and OSS papers), gave a keynote speech at the 4th AOSS which just concluded in Taipei yesterday. This year's main topic was to address the inadequacy of Linux drivers. This is an area where Taiwanese manufacturers can do best (and since they own the market, only they can solve the problem).

Still not understanding what the infrastructure issue is. Wait for our turn? Is there already one that I don't know about.

In order to get Asian countries interested, you have to find some way to get CINPAC involved. Geographically, we have a very small and isolated market. But the procurement power of CINPAC can make any country/company salivating. It is, of course, very desirable to provide our military a computer which is multi-lingual and multi-cultural.

So CINPAC is the only way to get Asian countries involved? Are you certain? Were we not at the same IIPI conference in May?

Best wishes in your endeavor.  wayne

Thanks, Wayne. It is not mine. I see it more as an endeavor for *our* tech community. We are getting two responses: one is great, how can we help, and the other is from the crabs in the bucket.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Director