Question: Your company is finding that tech hiring is on the rise, and one of the reasons is increased reliance on open source. What are companies looking for and what has your internal hiring experience been?

Benzaken: In general, people are trying to move away from the Microsoft platform, more towards an open source platform. So there's a lot more interest in that area. In general, the developers we find in the open source arena are more self-starters. They're more involved; a lot of them got involved in open source just to be contributors. They're much more proactive in terms of being involved in the technology itself. Those are the kind of people we find, which are very good, especially internally for us, a start-up, where we need people who are self-starters; it's very useful to have those skills. The market has been moving in that direction, I think, away from the Microsoft platform.

continued at:

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/content/3Q/3qpub10-20050927.aspx