Yes, Brian, the first NTP pool address I listed is from ntp.pool.org, but it may be farther away /slower depending upon which server in the pool answers the query.

Al, I always appreciate your suggestions, but I noticed that the NASA NTP server is really not supposed to be publicly available:
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/PublicTimeServer000270
Strangely, the ntp.hawaii.edu server doesn't have a stratum rating, and I know that a few years ago, it oddly jumped forward to the year 2030:
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/PublicTimeServer000453

In terms of ping time and likely long-term reliability, the NIST server in LA is looking like my best option : nist1-la.ustiming.org

Sincerely,
-Jeff