On 04/04/2013 12:02 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
I'm sure that some one, some where would be happy to receive your old machine. The other options to look at would be something like DSL, Puppy (if it still going), Xenix etc.

Regards,

Phill.

Phill:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll keep them in mind.

I think the more minimal Linux distributions would be a problem for me, where I do MIDI music, and I /do/ need to use Java.

Fluidsynth (Qsynth) /barely/ ran on that machine anyway. But with a Soundblaster card, it worked fine. The Soundblaster 'Live!' card in it is probably more valuable than the machine itself, and I can use the disk drives.

The Java Sound Synthesizer also barely ran on it, but interestingly, only on the Ubuntu-Studio system (which uses the low-latency kernel). It doesn't seem to work on Lubuntu, which may be a problem with non-standard installation of PulseAudio (which is required for the Java Sound Synthesizer).

Also, for some reason, on Lubuntu, the pulse-audio control (pavucontrol) reports two internal audio cards (rather than an internal audio card /and/ the Soundblaster 'Live!' card. I had to use trial-and-error to determine which was which. That's not something I would want to inflict on a user.

--
Sincerely,
Aere