On 05/05/13 00:12, Aere Greenway wrote:
On 04/23/2013 06:10 AM, Yorvyk wrote:
On 13/04/13 18:28, Aere Greenway wrote:
All:

I have been observing a problem where on slow (450 megahertz) machines,
the software updater window disappears, and the updates are applied in
the background, with no notification of completion.

On slow machines, the method of applying software updates is broken, and
not something an ordinary user can deal with, or use with any real
chance of success.

If you can't update your system, then you system is not supported -
despite what the website may claim.

I have submitted a bug-report for this, but it has been declared
"invalid" because my machine doesn't have a speed of 1 gigahertz, with 1
gigabytes of RAM - despite the fact that I was using Lubuntu.

Here is a link to the bug-report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1159589 Title: When applying software
updates, updater window disappears

Have you tried Update-manager lately here seems to be some
improvements and it appears to be behaving as it should on both 12.10
and Raring Ringtail although there doesn't seem to be any patches
relating to this problem.

The problem may be fixed in 12.10, but it has never yet worked in 13.04,
and I will be going back to the manual update method, so I won't know if
it gets fixed (unless they someday respond to the bug report).

I was beginning to think it may have some thing to do with the size of the upgrade, but this doesn't appear to be consistent either as a small upgrade this morning failed as did a larger one yesterday. I'm installing Ubuntu a machine currently running Lubuntu to see if it fails under Ubuntu as it does under Lubuntu.

--
Steve