On 06/16/2013 01:36 PM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
I think asking people to use the "Install Lubuntu" menu item on the
desktop image is fine, as it is not difficult, and indeed is even
logical, since that is exactly what they want to do:)

I think asking people with lower RAM machines to use the Alternate
Install CD is also fine, as it is no more difficult than using ubiquity,
just less pretty.
Jonathan:

I totally agree with you. We cannot expect typical users to do complicated things. Even asking them to enter commands in a terminal is too much to expect.

The only problem with using the alternate install, is having to download yet another CD image, which can take a significant amount of time with slower Internet speed, and could cost you money if your Internet provider has a limit on Internet usage, after-which they charge you more.

If there is a way we can get it to work with the live CD (as appears to be the case in the "zRAM and Live CD" e-mail stream), that would be a good thing.

It's nice to first try-out the live CD on a new system level to see if it works on your hardware, and to try-out the new system.

As a case illustrating that point, trying out the live CD on what 2 months ago was my primary machine suggested that I could no longer use that machine going forward, because its Intel graphics was no longer supported. It turned out, after installing 13.04, that I could no longer even watch YouTube videos on it, though it was a fairly modern machine (a Dell Dimension 1100, 2.5 gigahertz, 1 gigabytes RAM, but no AGP slot for a NVIDIA card).

--
Sincerely,
Aere