OBI is a good option... Of course you can do it manually...

Lately I have done some cloning with gnome-disks. It is very simple, you
install everything you want, open gnome-disks, click on root partition and
choose "more actions", then select "create image" option.

That created image might work on other hardware that has the same
archtecture (i386, amd64, ...). The only thing I did before doing the image
is to setup /etc/fstab to mount devices based on the path */dev/sdXX*.
Default configuration specify *UUID*, that might be different on other
partitions.

I do not make image of /home partition (I make it separate). What I do is
to compress the /home/user directory, than on recover process I extract it
on drive and change its permissions accordingly.

To recover, or clone to another hardware, I make new partitions (with
gparted, on a live lubuntu), following the device/partition order. On my
image I made:
*Swap: */de/sda1
*Small Root (12Gb):* /dev/sda2 (I set BOOT flag on this, just like on
original installation)
*Home dir: */dev/sda3

gnome-disks images are not compressed, so, you need at least 12gb on drive
(the size of root partition) to store the created image. I use an external
USB HD.

Feel free to contact-me if anything is not clear enough for you, on case
you decide to try this method...