Booting live-powerpc on the iMac G3 from a powerpc 12.04 lubuntu desktop CD
(burned from the .iso) allowed the following sequence (# ... is comments):

sudo apt-get install lvm2
# The above installed fsadm as well as well as lvmreduce and the like.

sudo vgchange --available y G3volgrp
# I needed to activate the logical volumes in the kernel before the below was
allowed.

sudo lvreduce --resizefs --size -45G /dev/G3volgrp/G3root

On reboot to the internal drive (after the above) things seem fine.

Thanks again for the pointers Phill. So there is a CD based work around readily
available as long as lubuntu 12.04's .iso for using live-powerpc is readily
available.

===
Mark Millard
mar...@dsl-only.net