@Is:

Tried the various options . . . from the -f install command it showed "0
upgraded, 0 newly install, 0 to remove, 11 not upgraded" . . . so I ran the
fuser command and the prompt just returned very quickly . . . I rebooted,
same problem.  Ran thru the "update" but then after the -f install I ran
"dist-upgrade" and it showed the 11 updates, couple of them said
"libsystemlogin0" and "libsystemdaemon0" . . . so I had high hopes . . .
but, no, same problem with login in.

I ran a couple of different variations of the fuser command, not knowing
which place had a space and which was strung together . . . when I strung
the "vki/var/lib" with no space there was some error text showing me the
various options . . . with "fuser: Invalid option /" . . . .  ran that a
couple different ways . . . nothing was "said" by APT.

Tried also to "mv ~/.dbus " . . . rebooted . . . problem remains, I'm
typing this in a Guest session . . . .  Reminder, this is Lu 14.04 for PPC
. . . .  Any other ideas?  Only thing I haven't tried is the mv .cache . .
. trying to avoid having to manually copy stuff back into a file . . .
should I try "recovery" again??