On 12/02/2014 11:36 AM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

> @Is:
>
> Tried the various options . . . from the -f install command it showed
> "0 upgraded, 0 newly install, 0 to remove, 11 not upgraded" . . . so I
> ran the fuser command and the prompt just returned very quickly . . .
> I rebooted, same problem.  Ran thru the "update" but then after the -f
> install I ran "dist-upgrade" and it showed the 11 updates, couple of
> them said "libsystemlogin0" and "libsystemdaemon0" . . . so I had high
> hopes . . . but, no, same problem with login in.
>
> I ran a couple of different variations of the fuser command, not
> knowing which place had a space and which was strung together . . .
> when I strung the "vki/var/lib" with no space there was some error
> text showing me the various options . . . with "fuser: Invalid option
> /" . . . .  ran that a couple different ways . . . nothing was "said"
> by APT.
>
> Tried also to "mv ~/.dbus " . . . rebooted . . . problem remains, I'm
> typing this in a Guest session . . . .  Reminder, this is Lu 14.04 for
> PPC . . . .  Any other ideas?  Only thing I haven't tried is the mv
> .cache . . . trying to avoid having to manually copy stuff back into a
> file . . . should I try "recovery" again??

Hi Fritz,
It might be worth trying to add a new user.
Check if the new user has the same issues.
If the new user does not have any issue, you can of course simply
migrate your configurations to that account.  And also it will mean
there is some sort of issue.
Moving the .cache wouldn't hurt.  As long as you move it (instead of
remove).  You can always copy it back again.
If you create a new user you can systematically go through all your .
(dot) files and find the problem if you are really interested in
discovering the actual issue.  Then you can diff the two files and find
out what is the issue.  But of course simply having a working user
(other than guest) would be the goal :)

--
Regards