Hi Fritz,
(inline)

On 01/18/2015 06:47 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> Folks:
>
> This might be a no-brainer if I was booted up in linux, but I'm not .
> . . perhaps a month or so back I was trying to follow someone's
> instructions about doing a "persistent live USB install" . . . but
> doing it on an external HD thru my iBook . . . and there was some
> issue with the installer and it lunched my Lu 14.04 install on my
> iBook.  So I took that opportunity to install the new Ubuntu MATE for
> ppc OS because I enjoy the floating feet screensaver . . . and it's a
> very nice system, but perhaps it's too much system for my 933 MHz
> processor with 560? MB RAM . . . as the fan blows constantly while
> typing emails in Gmail, and/or forums with
I think MATE is a bit too heavy for that.  It seems like MATE is a bit
heavier than XFCE.
My personal choice for iBooks is JWM.  560MB is plenty for Lubuntu, though!
> smilies.  I like a quiet computer and so far OSX 10.4 runs the
> quietest of any, and Lu 14.04 was in the middle, if it had to "think"
> about something the fan would start, but with MATE if the computer
> even looks at thinking about something . . . fan is blowing, even when
> the computer goes into "suspend" and the screensaver starts up . . .
> .  Seems like both Ubuntu & MATE are "too rich" for the iBooks blood.
> or at least the price in noise is too much for me?

Unfortunately PowerPC(32bit mind you) has become a kind of dead
architecture.  Which is sad for those of us who have them.
> So, I'm thinking about whether I could either "rm" or use synaptic to
> remove, what would it be, "unity" and "MATE" and then add LXDE or
> XFCE4 . . . or add them first and then remove the U-MATE and see if I
> can get back to a basic system w/o doing another re-install and
> xorg.conf file and adding radeon.agp to yaboot etc.  Do-able?  Or too
> many dependencies?  Or, doing that would have to be done in TTY
> console if I'm logged into the U-MATE?

Reinstall is the best option.  removing things will send you into a
dependency nightmare often times.  It is do-able, but I have never had a
"easy" time doing it.  I have been successful at it, but the first few
times I tried it I was unsuccessful.  So... if you want to learn more
about stuff break your system and fix it :)

Otherwise do the easy-peasy reinstall

If you want to install something lightweight send me an e-mail off list,
and we can chat about it :)

> So, add LXDE, log into it, and then try to remove the U-MATE stuff?
> And that would get me back to the "core" system, more or less, with
> the basic lighter DE??  Easy-peasy or messed up?

Regards