Folks:

This might be a no-brainer if I was booted up in linux, but I'm not . . .
perhaps a month or so back I was trying to follow someone's instructions
about doing a "persistent live USB install" . . . but doing it on an
external HD thru my iBook . . . and there was some issue with the installer
and it lunched my Lu 14.04 install on my iBook.  So I took that opportunity
to install the new Ubuntu MATE for ppc OS because I enjoy the floating feet
screensaver . . . and it's a very nice system, but perhaps it's too much
system for my 933 MHz processor with 560? MB RAM . . . as the fan blows
constantly while typing emails in Gmail, and/or forums with smilies.  I
like a quiet computer and so far OSX 10.4 runs the quietest of any, and Lu
14.04 was in the middle, if it had to "think" about something the fan would
start, but with MATE if the computer even looks at thinking about something
. . . fan is blowing, even when the computer goes into "suspend" and the
screensaver starts up . . . .  Seems like both Ubuntu & MATE are "too rich"
for the iBooks blood. or at least the price in noise is too much for me?

So, I'm thinking about whether I could either "rm" or use synaptic to
remove, what would it be, "unity" and "MATE" and then add LXDE or XFCE4 . .
. or add them first and then remove the U-MATE and see if I can get back to
a basic system w/o doing another re-install and xorg.conf file and adding
radeon.agp to yaboot etc.  Do-able?  Or too many dependencies?  Or, doing
that would have to be done in TTY console if I'm logged into the U-MATE?

So, add LXDE, log into it, and then try to remove the U-MATE stuff?  And
that would get me back to the "core" system, more or less, with the basic
lighter DE??  Easy-peasy or messed up?