Hi,
(inline replies)
On 01/22/2015 09:13 AM, Andre Rodovalho wrote:
> did you try nomodeset?

> <mailto:lubu...@prpcompany.com>>:

>                             ata1.00 status: {DRDY}
>                             ata1.00 hard resetting link
>                                          configured for UDMA/33
>                                          Device reported invalid CHS
>                             sector 0
>                                          EH complete
>                                          lost interrupt
>                                          exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0
>                             action 0x6 frozen
>                                          failed command READ DMA

I wonder if the USB stick is still good, or has some issues in the
partition table, or something else.
It might be a good idea to reformat the disk, and use a tool like mkusb
to install the live image and test that it works.
after that you could easily install the operating system to the USB in
another fashion.

>                             If that's the case, then I would repeat
>                             Nio's advice to find out if the live usb
>                             reliably boots some other computer.  If
>                             no, then his other advice also applies.
>                             If yes, then it seems like there is a BIOS
>                             setting/problem on the old HP.

There might be an issue with the USB settings on the computer, if you
have grub installed already on the computer you can (in fact) boot the
USB from GRUB.
I can give more info if you need, but here is the basic premise
Hold SHIFT (or press ESC) to get the grub menu.
Type in C
this will put you in the grub command prompt.
Then

set root=(hd1,msdos1)
*NOTE: hd1,msdos1 may be different on your computer... I suggest typeing
set root=(hd  and pressing the TAB key to list your devices*

linux /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper noprompt noeject
*NOTE: you can use TAB completion for the directories, and files as
well, but do not forget: boot=casper*

initrd /casper/initrd.lz

boot

This should boot it just fine.  I use it on computers that do not boot
USB, but load USB before booting (really old computers do not allow this)

--
Regards