Visiting family this weekend and looking at a couple problems, I find these issues when scanning from an HP PSC 1315 under Lubuntu 14.04.2 i386:

- I have not explored and confirmed this yet, but it seems to be the case that the scanner is not recognized unless you boot with the scanner powered on. It's USB. (This may be a BIOS issue instead on this Dell 4300. When the scanner IS powered on during boot, there is an early "Plug & Plug Configuration Error" that flashes on the screen.)

- But when the scanner is powered on during boot and I start a scan under SimpleScan, the progress wheel spins and the scanner makes working sounds, but the progress wheel continues to spin and the scan result never appears. That is, unless you minimize and then restore SimpleScan (or perhaps switch to another window and then back to SimpleScan), in which case the scan result is displayed. I do believe, however, that I have not seen this behavior before.

Confirmations?  Comments?