Visiting family this weekend and looking at a couple problems, I discovered that under the default installation of Lubuntu 14.04 there seems to be no provision for printing pictures.

The image viewer has no Print option. And when I instead opened a picture in mtPaint and then tried File: Action: Print Image, nothing happened.

I got mtPaint's File: Action: Print Image functionality working by following the 'How to Print' section of this Puppy Linux article: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/UsingMtPaint

I also found that I could print using Firefox, but I would have expected to be able to print a pic via the image viewer or the paint program.

It seems like more than a trivial omission to have no default picture printing provision.

[I had a similar realization recently regarding photo management. I installed Shotwell to add that capability, but it seemed like there should have been a native provision.]

How do you handle these things?