Den 2016-08-10 kl. 18:18, skrev Liam Proven:
On 10 August 2016 at 18:10,  <scrooya...@riseup.net> wrote:
But in a VM people load an ISO from a HDD to try a LIVECD.

You're right.

I tried booting a VM from the unmodified ISO and you're right, it
asks. Never noticed that before! My bad, and sorry about that.

AFAICR: if you make the media with UNetbootin, you get a text version
of that menu. If you make it with System Disk Creator, you don't -- it
asks in graphics with big buttons.

Having to make a phisical UBS to load a ISO in a VM thats a bist backwards,
the whole idea is to NOT use any hardware to simply have a look at different
OS.

BTW, I wrote a blog post about how to install _to_ USB, prompted by
these threads. It's here:

http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/50416.html

I hope you find it useful.

Hi Liam,

---
EDIT: It occurs to me that they might not work on UEFI PCs unless you create a UEFI system partition and appropriate boot files. I don't have a UEFI PC to experiment with. I'd welcome comments on this.
---

You can make portable installed systems (useful with USB pendrives) according to the following link,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS

but they are limited to 64-bit systems.

You can make a persistent live drive with a 32-bit system that boots in BIOS mode but also in UEFI mode according to the following link,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/persistent

Best regards
Nio