Hi All,

[Rant Alert] I have been doing a bit of background reading about the CPU
faults nicknamed Spectre and Meltdown, and have been getting more and
more annoyed by what I have read. I would like to ask you all for your
opinions on whether I am justified in my feelings.

As I understand it Spectre and Meltdown is a complicated story, and
covers several different security flaws within the design of processors.
It also affects almost all processors currently in use. The flaws cannot
be fixed but their vulnerabilities can be mitigated by software. Some
flaws require the CPU manufacturers to issue changes to the processor
microcode.

Initially Intel and AMD both announced that they will only issue
microcode mitigations for processors made since approx' 2011; older
processor families will remain vulnerable to the security flaws. For
Intel it means Core 2 Duo and older will not be fixed. For AMD it is
Athlon and similar.

I find this annoying as it is a strength of Linux that it can make
machines with these older CPUs perfectly usable, especially for normal
office type work. Are we now expected to throw perfectly good machines
away just because Intel and AMD will not accept full responsibility for
the mess that they have created?

My annoyance levels increased when I read that, as of this month (May
2019), Intel were dropping microcode support for first generation
i3/i5/i7 processors! Can we expect this to be an annual event: security
support will end for CPU families that reach their 10th birthday?

My anger reached boiling point when I read that some hardware
manufacturers are refusing to pass on the microcode updates as an excuse
to generate increased sales! Allegedly Acer, Asus and Gigabyte are bad,
refusing to support hardware that is only 3 or 4 years old. Dell are
supposed to be good at supporting older hardware.

My current PCs are now no longer supported. What are my options to
replace them?

- Am I over reacting? The flaws are allegedly difficult to exploit, so
just relax and carry on.

- Buy the newest Intel CPU that I can afford, and expect it to
eventually become too dangerous to use.

- Switch to AMD, which is allegedly not as badly affected, and hope
their support is better than Intel.

- Only buy Dell machines.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to unload.

Cheers,
Barry T