> My intention was to start a conversation, and gather opinions, about how
> Spectre and Meltdown have affected the support for End Of Life hardware:-

My primary desktop runs c2q-q9400 which is on the list of dropped by
intel with regards microcode.  Likewise my old servers have xeons also
on that list. I can't afford to replace any of them, so I'll continue
to use them.  For my old servers, the cost of electricity used by my
old boxes worries me more than spectre/meltdown.

> What is the most cost effective, way of buying a secure second hand
> desktop today?

This dell optiplex d960 came from a recycler in Melbourne (my home
town) because I had to go there for someone. Normally i'll purchase
from ComputerBank Victoria (https://www.computerbank.org.au/) that
would have given me a screen, keyboard, mouse & an installed OS
(Ubuntu too).  I could have purchased newer, but I buy what I can
afford.  Recyclers work for me but cost is a huge factor in my
decision.