On 6/3/19 11:21 AM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

    That could very well happen.

    But of course, those perfectly-useful machines could eventually
    die a 'natural computer death', as well, rather than being junked
    because there is no modern OS to run on them.

    So far though, they are working well, and going strong,
    accomplishing useful tasks for me.

    It may surprise a lot of people to hear that the slower machines
    are actually more valuable to me, because they allow me to test if
    my software really does work on 'older, slower machines', as I
    claim on my website.

    Strangely, my 32-bit MacBook seems to have a better display than
    my later 64-bit MacBook.  And with Linux, it makes a perfectly
    good musical instrument for performances.

-- Sincerely,
    Aere

@Aere:

Possibly the 32-bit MacBook might have an Nvidia graphics card, which generally seems to bring a crisper display than the Radeon options . . . .  Apple seems to "mix n match" the hardware in different platforms, so to make it seem competitive with PC choices?

And, right, "the wish for a natural death" scenario, rather than "induced death due to lack of support" . . . I've tried to keep my old PPC machines going, unnaturally adding parts to revive them from zombie state . . . but, the pull of the technological wave seems to keep sending them back . . . and then the new parts don't have the right connectors . . . making it difficult to sustain "life" . . . .

It's somewhat like "newer, fresher horsies" are the "better" choice in the cost/benefit ratio of time management theory . . . ??

There's something people planning future support of Linux systems, thinking machines will have hardware failures, and no longer be in-use, need to consider.

Wear-and-tear for computers used all the time, differs from computers used only occasionally.  Machines of the latter variety, tend to last a lot longer than those used all the time, at least, in my experience that seems to be the case.

That's probably why my older machines are still going strong.

- Aere

--
Sincerely,
Aere