@Is:

Yes.  I did both, reinstalled grub and then "mkconfig'd" it and on cold
boot, selecting Lubuntu now brings verbose log in/dmesg, or it shows up . .
. in the fairly slow boot process . . . but got there!!  And uname -r shows
5.19xxx kernel . . . !!!!!!!!

It takes a village . . . in my case.  I guess the thing was, after erasing
the 5.13 kernel I edited the individual grub item data, but didn't run
another "grub2-mkconfig" to solidify the edits??  Or, in this case, find
the newer kernel and register it, etc.

I started a new thread on Discourse, but since I'm now running Lubuntu I
can't post an update there . . . ?????  : - 0