Top posting, with impunity!!

So, I got a hint over on Discourse to "check the grub EFI menu" . . . and
once I figured out how to do that, indeed, Lubuntu was listing itself as
"19.10" and set to be booting 5.13 . . . took some more time to figure out
how to edit that data, to the correct wording for the kernel . . . and that
did seem to boot Lubuntu to 5.19!!!

Only "problem" seems to be that when I'm booted in Lubuntu the Discourse
site loads as a white page . . . of whiteness.  I'll have to reboot into a
non-Lu system to get it to load . . . .

So far now it seems like the solution has been invoked . . . .