----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Scott Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > The biggest thing Ant and all the projects that use it is
STANDARDIZATION!
> > One way or another, build.properties.sample / default.properties -
doesn't
> > matter functionally.  The standardization has to be at a much deeper
level
> > than that... and somehow the Ant engine itself needs to enforce or at
least
> > prod these things.  For example, <property
> > file="${user.home}/build.properties"/> - that almost should be
*implicit* in
> > Ant to do this.  Loading build.properties should almost be implicit too.
> > With all the build files out there that don't follow these conventions
we
> > really have a mess (i.e. its difficult to pick up a source tree with a
> > build.xml and build it without looking into build.xml to see what makes
it
> > tick).
>
> Hmm...I'm not sure of that type of forceful standardization either...but
> that is a result of some of the influence Sam Ruby has on me...:-)

I'm not sure of it either.  I'm just thinking out loud.  Certainly Ant
should  not constrain its capabilities just to force one way of doing
something, but somehow these things should be at least documented so that
build file writers can have guidelines to follow.  Yes, I know - I should
volunteer!  Well, I am trying to do my part, really I am!  :)

> > At least makefiles have fairly consistent conventions that are followed,
> > right?
>
> Nope. Not at all. The only thing that is somewhat consistent is the name
of
> the targets.

Even that is a free for all with Ant build files mostly.

    Erik