I support this and I'm willing to help.

Scott

On Dec 10, 2004, at 3:18 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

The idea of creating a new top-level Apache project, namely search.apache.org, has been floating around for a while. The idea is to bring Lucene under this new umbrella, along with incubating Nutch through the standard Apache incubation process with it aimed at coming under this same top-level project too.

This message is to kick-start this process in a more formal manner.

Creating a new top-level project to house Lucene, and the effort to incubate Nutch can occur in parallel, I believe. Nutch will follow the path outlined here:

        http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html

The creation of the top-level project has been somewhat outlined here:

        http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaPMCTopLevelProjectApplication

Most of the effort is administrative, such as selecting a Chair, PMC members, and putting together a plan of action. Along with this move, we should also consider switching to Subversion and migrating from Bugzilla to JIRA.

Are there any folks opposed to these plans?

I personally am happy to champion this effort and I will do what I can within the time constraints of the rest of my life. What we need are other volunteers willing to assist with these efforts. First we need to write the proposals, choose the initial PMC members and Chair (who I assume should be his majesty Doug, if he's willing to be in that role), and deal with the flurry of e-mails on the Jakarta PMC e-mail list.

More technical effort will be needed to manage the publishing of the website - it would be nice to overhaul the Lucene site - manage the code repositories, and automate the bulk of the release process so that we can simply click and release.

What tasks have I overlooked?

Discussion?  Suggestions?

        Erik