Erik Hatcher wrote:
Also, we should package a lucene-XX-all.zip/.tar.gz that includes all the contrib pieces also allowing someone to simply download Lucene and all the packaged contrib pieces at once.

I'll go further: that should be the only download. We should avoid having a bunch of different downloads. Ant used to require you to separately download the optional tasks, but that was a pain. Now they're included.

So we will have at least:

  lucene-XX.tar.gz
  lucene-src-XX.tar.gz

But should we add the following?

  lucene-contrib-XX.tar.gz
  lucene-contrib-src-XX.tar.gz

Or should we just bundle these into the first two? I vote for bundling. There will still be separate jar files, so folks only have to deploy what they need. Download size is not an issue these days. Thoughts?

Also, we should combine the javadoc into a single tree, with a "Core" group followed by a "Contrib" group:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/solaris/javadoc.html#group

As an example, Nutch does this for "Core" and "Plugin":

http://www.nutch.org/docs/api/overview-summary.html

Doug