Terry,

What you typically want to do is something along the lines of

BitSet bits = new BitSet(reader.maxDoc());
Term t = new Term(field, fieldValue);
TermDocs termDocs = reader.termDocs(t);
try
{
    while (termDocs.next())
    {
        int docNumber = termDocs.doc();
        bits.set(docNumber);
    }
}
finally
{
    if (termDocs != null) termDocs.close();
}

this searches for all documents containing the term t, then allowing these
documents to be returned (note: everything else is disallowed by default).

Regards,
Kelvin