Our application is a string similarity searcher where the query is an input string and
we want to find all "fuzzy" variants of the input string in the DB.  The Score is
basically dice's coefficient: 2C/Q+D, where C is the number of terms (n-grams) in
common, Q is the number of unique query terms and D is the number of unique document
terms. Our documents will be sentences.

I know Lucene has a fuzzy search capability - but I assume this would be very slow
since it must search through the entire term list to find candidates.

In order to do the calculation I will need to have 'C' - the number of terms in common
between query and document. Is there an API that I can call to get this info? Any
hints on what it will take to modify Lucene to handle these kinds of queries?

BTW:
Ever consider using Lucene for DNA searching? - this technique could also be used to
search large DNA databases.

Thanks!

Jim Hargrave

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of
the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.