Hi

I am starting to get an error about a write.lock in lucene when creating an index in
an empty directory. It used to work fine before but now it started to occur and as far
as I know I didn't touch anything. Printing out the stack trace from the excpetion
thrown I get the following :

java.io.IOException: couldn't delete write.lock
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.create(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at qa.answerextraction.AnswerExtractionImpl.processDocument(Unknown Source)
        at qa.answerextraction.AnswerExtractionServerPOA._invoke(Unknown Source)
 at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.invokeOperation(Unknown Source)
        at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.run(Unknown Source)

The code creating this problem is:

                IndexWriter writer;

                try {
                    writer = new IndexWriter(indexLocation, sa,false);
                } catch (java.io.IOException e) {
                    writer = new IndexWriter(indexLocation, sa,true);
                }

This problem only happens when indexing the very first file. After that it works fine.
All that seems it needs in the directory is a "segments" file.

Could anyone explain to me the problem or what I am doing wrong in it?

regards
Aaron

Sent through the WebMail system at nextgen.net.mt