Hi Otis,

I am not at home to provide the information requested about the file and lucene but will get back about it this evening. The directory will be completely empty and I have all access rights on it as I am able to do ls- la on the file. However I did solve this by deleting the lock file myself. Whenever IndexerCreator fails to find index before creating the index I delete the locks.

Regards
Aaron

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

I don't think there was a follow-up to this.

Aaron, please provide a listing of the directory that you are using in
IndexWriter constructor.  Is it empty?  What are permissions on it?
When the exception occurs, a file called write.lock should remain in
the directory.  Can you ls -al that file?  Is this Lucene 1.3*?

Maybe you solved the problem already. This is unlikely a Lucene bug.

Otis

--- Aaron Galea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi

I am starting to get an error about a write.lock in lucene when
creating an index in an empty directory. It used to work fine before
but now it started to occur and as far as I know I didn't touch
anything. Printing out the stack trace from the excpetion thrown I
get the following :

java.io.IOException: couldn't delete write.lock
       at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.create(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(Unknown
Source)
       at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(Unknown
Source)
       at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at
qa.answerextraction.AnswerExtractionImpl.processDocument(Unknown
Source)
       at
qa.answerextraction.AnswerExtractionServerPOA._invoke(Unknown Source)
      at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.invokeOperation(Unknown
Source)
       at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.process(Unknown Source)
       at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.run(Unknown Source)

The code creating this problem is:

IndexWriter writer;

try {
writer = new IndexWriter(indexLocation,
sa,false);
} catch (java.io.IOException e) { writer = new IndexWriter(indexLocation, sa,true);
}

This problem only happens when indexing the very first file. After
that it works fine. All that seems it needs in the directory is a
"segments" file.

Could anyone explain to me the problem or what I am doing wrong in
it?

regards Aaron