Eric Jain wrote:
Just to clarify things: Does the current solution require all fields
that can be used for sorting to be loaded and kept in memory? (I guess
you can answer this question faster than I can figure it out by myself
:-)

Field values are loaded into memory. But values are kept in an array of the appropirate type, so the memory used is not large, and loading is done via TermDocs, so it's very fast. But, if you have a million documents, a sorter will use 4MB (and cache it for subsequent searches too).

Doug