Eric Jain wrote:
That's reasonable. What I didn't quite understand yet: If I sort on a
string field, will Lucene need to keep all values in memory all the
time, or only during startup?

It will cache one instance of each unique value. So if you have a million documents and string sort results on a field that only has 100 different values, it will createa a 1M element array of pointers to 100 unique strings. But if the field has 1M different values, then the array will hold 1M unique strings.

Doug