On Apr 3, 2004, at 9:59 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Saturday 03 April 2004 15:19, Erik Hatcher wrote:
date:[20030101 TO 20030202]

I found the/my bug.

Since Lucene is case-sensitive, I do lower-case all queries for user's
convenience. The ParseException is thrown because the "TO" becomes "to".

Well, I really think Lucene needs to daff such stumbling blocks aside...

No objections that error messages and such could be made clearer. Patches welcome! Care to submit better error message handling in this case? Or perhaps allow lower-case "to"?

But, also, folks need to really step back and practice basic troubleshooting skills. I asked you if that string was what you passed to the QueryParser and you said yes, when in fact it was not. And you slowly fed more details of your scenario (MFQP, some German SnowballAnalyzer variant). Reduce the variables in the equation and narrow things down until it works and then incrementally add complexity. I cannot encourage folks enough to try some JUnit test-driven *learning* by exploring various scenarios.